|Date Posted||October 7, 2021|
We have a great opportunity for a Senior Citrix Engineer.
About the project
Costain helps to improve people's lives by deploying technology-based engineering solutions to meet urgent national needs across the UK's energy, water and transportation infrastructures.
The Costain Planning team help ensure that the delivery of these National Infrastructure projects are delivered on time, on budget and as effectively as possible.
The Costain Planning team are looking for a Citrix Engineer to manage, administrate and improve Costain's Planning Environment.
This platform is built within Microsoft's Azure cloud platform with Windows and Citrix technologies that delivers the P6 tool and other planning applications for these national Infrastructure projects.
Costain's dedicated planning platform enables collaboration in P6 by contract planning teams, with a single version of the truth, accessed by anyone from anywhere, with appropriate permissions. Other applications link directly to P6 databases.
Costain are searching for a Citrix Engineer with experience with building, administrating and continually improving a Citrix platform to provide an enterprise level, consistent experience for our planners and ensuring the Citrix platform is consistently performant and constantly evolving.
The successful candidate will be a part of the Primavera Support Team, reporting to the P6 Systems Manager, but actively part of Costain's IT team.
Responsible for the Citrix infrastructure which enables remote access to P6 and other planning applications:
• Managing a complex Citrix architecture built upon on the Microsoft Azure platform
• Live performance monitoring and follow-up actions
• Monitor performance issues and take appropriate steps to ensure system availability in line with Service Level Agreements and user expectations
• Own Citrix environment & upgrade strategy and manage upgrades and patches.
Manage relationship with Costain IT:
• Co-ordination with Infrastructure 'Business as Usual' to maintain / support database environments & Citrix infrastructure
• Ensure appropriate response and aid mitigation of performance issues
• Major Incident Investigations, Reports & follow-up
• Ensure past backups safely retained
• Assist maintenance of Costain IT technical documentation
Accountable for data integrity, quality and accuracy.
Supporting and upgrading the platform and utilising best endeavours to resolve problems.
Be pivotal in architecting the future for Costain's delivery of the Citrix environment.
Manage and maintain our relationships with our internal and external clients and third parties.
Assist with licence management: Oracle Primavera, Tilos, Goliath, Citrix, Acumen.
Costain helps to improve people's lives with integrated, leading edge, smart infrastructure solutions across the UK's energy, water, transportation and defence markets. We help our clients improve their business performance by increasing capacity, improving customer service, safeguarding security, enhancing resilience, decarbonising and delivering increased efficiency. Our vision is to be the UK's leading smart infrastructure solutions company. We will achieve this by focusing on blue chip clients whose major spending plans are underpinned by strategic national needs, regulatory commitments, legislation or essential performance requirements. We offer our clients leading edge solutions that are digitally optimised through the following five services which cover the whole lifecycle of their assets: future-shaping strategic consultancy; consultancy and advisory; digital technology solutions; asset optimisation and complex programme delivery. Our culture and values underpin everything we do.
Knowledge and Skills
• 5-6 years' experience managing complex Citrix architectures delivering applications to varied user communities & locations, including experience of NetScaler, and on-premise Citrix environment.
• Demonstrable detailed understanding of Citrix, and experience of managing virtual server infrastructure.
• Excellent Excel skills and working knowledge of databases/data warehouses.
• Knowledge of SQL or VB scripts an advantage
• High level of numeracy and excellent analytical skills, including use of appropriate IT tools
• Strong, personable Customer Service Focus
• Ability to work well with stakeholders both inside and outside of the immediate team
• Ability to use own initiative and resolving problems in a timely manner
• Accept responsibility for own work
• Project management skills, particularly to support system upgrades and changes.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Technology qualifications: Microsoft, Citrix Certification
At Costain we aim to be an accessible, diverse and inclusive organisation to continue to meet our customers' needs. We will be industry leading in our approach and people from all backgrounds will be proud to work for Costain. Our goal is to have a workforce that is representative of society.
Should you require any adjustments to support you in your application, please do not hesitate to contact us: [Click Here to Email Your Resumé]
We welcome all applicants regardless of age, race, faith, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, socioeconomic background, and physical or neurological disabilities.
We welcome you to ask about the flexibility you need for dynamic working, such as, working part-time, remote working, or compressed hours. In return, we will explore what is possible.
To find out more about our Inclusion strategy, please visit our ED&I page:
Right to Work & Security Checks
Understandably given the nature of our business, everyone who is employed at Costain must undergo thorough referencing checks. We will need different information depending on the job we have offered you. For all roles, we'll carry out a criminal record check and we'll ask to see evidence that you have the legal right to work in the UK.
For some of our roles, you may be required to obtain and maintain security clearance of at least Security Check level (or SC clearance). To satisfy the requirements, you will need to have been a legal UK resident for a minimum of 5 years and have successfully complete all stages of the vetting process.
Please note that Costain reserves the right to bring forward the closing date of any of its job vacancies if we receive a suitable number of quality applications from which to make a shortlist. Therefore, we recommend at you apply as soon as possible rather than wait until the published closing date.
A Disability Confident employer will generally offer an interview to any applicant that declares they have a disability and meets the minimum criteria for the job as defined by the employer. It is important to note that in certain recruitment situations such as high-volume, seasonal and high-peak times, the employer may wish to limit the overall numbers of interviews offered to both disabled people and non-disabled people. For more details please go to For more details please go to the Disability Confident website: