|February 9, 2024
|San Francisco, CA
The service hosts data of the largest companies in the world; supports all of Microsoft’s largest online businesses, including Office, OneDrive, Xbox, Teams, and Bing; and has scaled to store exabytes of customer data, with the roadmap looking even better in terms of growth.
Usage of Azure Storage ranges drastically - from hot access such as disks, to millisecond access such as video streaming data, to cold data such as archival data, and to hyperscale access, big data, machine learning, and many more! Each workload brings a new set of challenges and characteristics with formidable problems to solve!
We are striving to turn Azure Storage into a ubiquitous cloud storage service that provides the best way to store data for any modern and pre-existing application at large scale. We work towards providing our customers with a highly reliable cloud storage service with strong performance guarantees at a low cost.You can refer to the following azure.microsoft.com/en-us/products/category/storage/ for the Azure Storage offerings.
We are striving to turn Azure Storage into not only the ubiquitous Cloud storage service but the only way to store data for any modern and pre-existing application at large scale.
Our mission is to build the worlds most secure and dependable cloud storage platform. Powered by cutting-edge distributed systems technology, our platform is designed to set a new standard for scale, reliability and security in the cloud storage space.
We are looking to hire a detail-oriented Senior Software Engineer to design, implement and ship new features as part of the Azure Storage front team, a fundamental team for one of our core layers of the Azure Storage stack. Azure Storage front service exposes all the abstraction of Azure Storage such as VM Disks, Object Storage (Block Blob, Append Blob), ADLS (Azure Data Lake Service) Gen 2, Cloud SAN, SFTP, NFS to our customers. It is also responsible for all security, DDOS protection, noisy neighborhood isolation, authorization for the Azure Storage service and implementing the exposed protocol. As a Senior Software Engineer in Azure Storage, you will help drive and improve the reliability and performance of the service.
This role will involve design, implementing, and shipping product code that scales to the largest and most demanding storage and latency requirements on the planet. This opportunity will allow you to work with and influence dozens of teams in different geographical locations around the world, so you will make an impact both to people within the company and outside!
Microsoft’s mission is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. As employees we come together with a growth mindset, innovate to empower others, and collaborate to realize our shared goals. Each day we build on our values of respect, integrity, and accountability to create a culture of inclusion where everyone can thrive at work and beyond.
- Drive features end to end from inception to production (design, code, deploy, measure and iterate) with focus on system and distributed programming
- Deliver impact on one of the fastest growing services in Azure that is critical to the MicrosoftBig Data, AI and Cloud Servicesstrategy
- Collaborate with world class engineers to set the next service architecture which will help us tackle 100x growth
- Acts as a Designated Responsible Individual (DRI) and guides other engineers by developing and following the playbook, working on call to monitor system/product/service for degradation, downtime, or interruptions, alerting stakeholders about status and initiates actions to restore system/product/service for simple and complex problems when appropriate
- Proactively seeks new knowledge and adapts to new trends, technical solutions, and patterns that will improve the availability, reliability, efficiency, usability, observability, and performance of products while also driving consistency in monitoring and operations at scale and shares knowledge with other engineers
- OR equivalent experience
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science
- OR Python
- OR equivalent experience
- 3+ years of experiences in designing, analyzing, and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems with prior experience in reliability and performance
- Experience with multi-threaded/async programming
- Prior experience and/or subject matter expertise in service reliability, Network Security, Encryption, Authentication, SFTP, SSH or REST. You know the difference between a POST and a PATCH and you know the reasons for HTTP Status codes 409 and 412.
- Effective software engineering practices, coding and solid foundation in data structures, algorithms with solid testing, debugging and analytical skills
Software Engineering IC4 - The typical base pay range for this role across the U.S. is USD $112,000 - $218,400 per year. There is a different range applicable to specific work locations, within the San Francisco Bay area and New York City metropolitan area, and the base pay range for this role in those locations is USD $145,800 - $238,600 per year.
Certain roles may be eligible for benefits and other compensation. Find additional benefits and pay information here: careers.microsoft.com/us/en/us-corporate-pay
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. Consistent with applicable law, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, immigration status, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran or military status, race, ethnicity, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable local laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application process, read more about requesting accommodations.