|Published||November 25, 2022|
|Location||Ann Arbor, MI|
How to Apply
A cover letter and resume are important submissions for the hiring team to get a sense of your experience. In the cover letter, in one page or less, please let us know how you will align with your career aspirations and skills. Submit both a cover letter and resume as one file (because of system limitations).
Competitive salary available based on qualifications, experience and education of the selected candidate.
The Information and Technology Services (ITS) organization has an exciting opportunity to employ a Senior Windows Active Directory / Azure Administrator to administer and monitor the information operations to Identity Access Management (IAM) Windows components including AD and Azure. This position will report to the IAM Service Operations Manager in the Information Assurance department. This position requires a qualified individual who possesses a drive to focus and produce results, the ability to work independently to provide excellent customer service and effectively manage customer relationships in a very dynamic environment.
UM- ITS welcomes a healthy applicant pool so we encourage all interested applicants to apply. This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
Who we are:
Information and Technology Services (ITS) supports U-M faculty, researchers, staff, and students in their use of technology to teach, learn, research, and work, and be leaders in their fields. We are dedicated to creating cohesive digital experiences and promoting university wide innovations. ITS's mission is to be trusted enablers of technology for the U-M community. ITS works together to provide cohesive digital experiences and seamless support to the U-M community. For more information about ITS, visit: its.umich.edu/about
The Senior Windows Active Directory / Azure Administrator, as a member of the IAM Operations team, is responsible for the implementation, deployment and support of applications managing the full life cycle of identities, for authentication and authorization as well as middleware IT service provisioning solutions.
* Install, configure, test, debug, modify and maintain systems and software, including Windows Servers, utilities, system-level software, scripts and custom software applications; maintain and manage the AD and Azure environments
* Review and monitor systems for availability, error conditions, space allocation, backup integrity and performance to ensure system stability; ensure system backups and data archiving operations and tune performance of production systems
* Provide tier two support to ITS departments to resolve problems data integrity issues and the maintenance of the full life cycle of identities
* In collaboration with service partners, developers and architects and, as a member of a team, analyze business and user needs and design infrastructure solutions to meet those needs; coordinate and implement IAM infrastructure upgrades and enhancements
* Stay current with relevant advances in technologies in authentication systems such as Active Directory NTLM/Kerberos, PKI, Secure Token and Web SSO including federated SSO, to meet the ever-changing needs of the University
* Create internal documentation and follow best practices, procedures and share knowledge with team members
* A bachelor's degree in computer science, business computing or a related eld or equivalent combination of education, certification, and experience
* A minimum of four (5-7) years' experience in a related role in a large/enterprise environment requiring confidentiality, timeliness, customer service, organization, prioritization, troubleshooting, analysis, problem solving and working independently to successfully support Windows Server based systems
* Experience writing and debugging PowerShell scripts for system administration
* Experience administering Java and Python applications
* Demonstrated ability to leverage appropriate technical tools to perform day-to-day administration tasks, root-cause analysis, and service restoration (such as backup, restore, failover, log interpretation and performance monitoring) for Windows Server based systems
* Demonstrated ability to work in a self-directed manner, skillfully manage complex projects and stay up-to-date with the latest industry developments and best practices and apply the knowledge in the workplace
* Demonstrated analysis and technical problem-solving skills
* Ability to communicate complex technical concepts and information
* effectively via email, letters and in person to teams and customers
* Ability to demonstrate an understanding of networking technologies, encryption, VPN, load balancer and firewall technologies
* Familiarity with current computer technology and applications (e.g. word processing, spreadsheet and collaboration applications)
* Working knowledge of Active Directory management and the Azure ecosystem
* Modern programming skills in any language, including version control, test-driven development and debugging
* Experience with automation tools such as Ansible, Puppet or Chef
* Experience with AWS as well as with Linux
* Experience with log analytic tools such as Splunk
* Hands-on technical knowledge and experience with significant responsibility for supporting middleware technologies such as: LDAP, SAML2, XML/XDS/XSLT, OpenID
* Experience participating/leading various phases of technology infrastructure projects (concept, investigation, deployment, operations, migration, decommission), in particular projects which require coordination with developers and service stakeholders
* Hands-on technical knowledge and experience of Identity and Access Management, Identity Governance and authentication/authorization solutions
* Experience building and supporting information technology services at a higher education institution
Benefits at the University of Michigan
In addition to a career filled with purpose and opportunity, The University of Michigan offers a comprehensive benefits package to help you stay well, protect yourself and your family and plan for a secure future. Benefits include:
* Generous time off
* A retirement plan that provides two-for-one matching contributions with immediate vesting
* Many choices for comprehensive health insurance
* Life insurance
* Long-term disability coverage
* Flexible spending accounts for healthcare and dependent care expenses
* Dental and Vision Insurance
* Parental and Maternity Leave
Will require some after-hours/on-call support and reliable internet connectivity.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
COVID-19 vaccinations, including one booster when eligible